PSU Advice Please!

Pererin 10:22 30 Oct 07

Hi Gang, had a problem with my son's computer, a month back (Noisy Hard Drive), so I thought. After taking advice from the replies here I opened it up and gave everything a good clean (cpu fan was the worse offender. I powered up after with cover still off to check and noticed the psu fan not turning, is this normal, do they only run on temperature rise, or should it run constantly. As always thanks for any help.

birdface 10:30 30 Oct 07

Mine runs all the time.I have a desktop maybe different with laptops.

johnnyrocker 10:35 30 Oct 07

ditto pc

johnny.

Wak 10:44 30 Oct 07

If it's a desktop PC I'd be inclined to switch everything OFF and then try to turn the fan with something like a cocktail stick to see if it is free to run or maybe seized up.
PSUs are cheap and easy to replace providing you label the existing leads and remember what they connect to.

DieSse 11:48 30 Oct 07

"do they only run on temperature rise, or should it run constantly."

Both - the majority run all the time.

Test as per Waks idea

Has the PSU got a make/model number?

Pererin 19:06 30 Oct 07

OK, will check out as advised and get back to you all with make/model number. Thanks.

Pererin 19:07 30 Oct 07

OK, will check out as advised and get back to you all with make/model number. Thanks.

Pererin 19:08 30 Oct 07

Pererin 20:03 30 Oct 07

Have checked out the details of psu fan, it's an EZ Cool ATX - 550 JSP. I noticed when I tried to turn the fan blade it wasn't moving freely but was stuttering around - the best way to describe it- as if there was some resistance to me turning it at certain points. Does this mean that I should replace the unit.

johnnyrocker 20:08 30 Oct 07

i would say so.

johnny.

looks like the bearing has siezed, i would replace it asap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…