ps/2 ports not working

Rennaissance 15:59 24 Jan 04

Hi i have built my new machine 5 months ago and never tried the ps/2 ports as im using a usb keyboard. so i decide to try it today and it didnt work, no response from the keyboard or mouse but they worked on my other machine. anyone know how i can make it work. I have used two keyboards on one machine before which worked fine. Do i have to enable them in bios or something cause i cant seem to find anything in there. Or could it just be a faulty mother board, if so am i liable for a refund. or a checkup. Mother board is MSI KT4AV, bought from savastore.

LastChip 17:55 24 Jan 04

Why not try Add/Remove Hardware and manually install the ps/2 keyboard?

Then, if it doesn't work, you may get a clue from Device Manager as to why.

Andy-2004 17:57 24 Jan 04

im sry i have to ask

Y did u have 2 keyboards

Did u use them both?

Regards Andy

Rennaissance 20:02 24 Jan 04

what do you mean, i had two keyboards one for another machine and another for my machine. Tried both of them in the other machine and they worked fine. Tried it in my machine with PS/2 it didnt work. And another old keyboard i got has no drivers to install which also didnt work. Thanks for help anyway.

gold 47 20:15 24 Jan 04

What does it say in device manager? it might be worthwile to check in the bios that the PS2 is enabled never heard of this one because as a rule
say after a reinstall a USB mouse won't work and they don't work in safe mode hence why i use an LNB mouse via a adapter

LastChip 20:18 24 Jan 04

When you built your machine, you was using a USB Keyboard, so your operating system (OS) has never been able to recognise the fact that you now need to use the ps/2 port.

By using the method I suggested, you are telling the OS to setup a ps/2 port. Whether you have drivers or not is irrelevant, as providing you choose a generic keyboard from the options, the OS will load suitable drivers.

I'm not saying this will necessarily work, but it's something I would try.

Rennaissance 20:21 24 Jan 04

true my pc once came to a screen saying pc didnt start properly before choose option and my mouse or keyboard didnt work so i had to wait the 30 secs. Thats why i want to make the PS2 work. In device manager it doesnt say anything, im using my usb mouse and keyboard wireless atm. For mouse it says HID compliant pointing device, and keyboard just says HID compliant keyboard. Don't know where to find PS/2. and in BIOS i cant find it to enable it anywhere.

Rennaissance 20:23 24 Jan 04

"By using the method I suggested, you are telling the OS to setup a ps/2 port. Whether you have drivers or not is irrelevant, as providing you choose a generic keyboard from the options, the OS will load suitable drivers. "

This might work, how would i go about doing this?

LastChip 20:32 24 Jan 04

You install a Standard Keyboard via Add/Remove Hardware; Other Devices; Standard Keyboard in the left hand side and the Generic Windows 101/103 keyboard in the right.

Rennaissance 21:12 24 Jan 04

woo, hello there Lastchip, my problem is resolved now. Seems to me you were right. First off i installed the drivers etc on the wireless ps2 keyboard and this enabled the use of the ps2 ports and then it just worked. And now i plugged in my oldest one and it now works too. I had a look in device manager and now there is a new device called standard keyboard device or along the lines. thanks all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…