PS/2 mouse xp home problem

hugh-265156 10:41 03 Jul 03

hi all.i have xp home etd and a packard bell computer with a usb mouse and keyboard.

lately i have been trying to get linux up and running.the only problem i had was it didnt like the usb mouse.i was advised to buy a cheap ps/2 mouse(logitech pilot)as these work.

i decided to try it first with xp and it does not work.i have tried uninstalling my usb mouse first then plugging in the ps/2 mouse and rebooting.i have also tried downloading updated drivers from logitec and it still does not work.

i have disabled/enabled usb legacy support and setting ps/2 kbs device node(not sure of what that is exactly?) to auto and present and still no joy.

when i plug in the ps/2 mouse the motherboard speaker gives one short beep so i take it the port works.

nothing listed in device manager.oh and i have also tried another ps/2 mouse(packard bell)and also tried the serial ports.still no joy.

anybody got any ideas please?

madPentium 11:26 03 Jul 03

In your bios, there is sometimes a setting that says ps/2 mouse enabled/disabled. Mine is in peripheral devices. If windows xp is not detecting the mouse, it is either a problem with the mouse or the port.
Are you sure you have the keyboard and mouse ps/2 connectors in the right sockets? silly question but a few have made that mistake.
look in the end of the ps/2 connector on the mouse lead, are any pins bent?

hugh-265156 11:38 03 Jul 03

lol no pins bent and its in the ps/2 socket ok.mobo beeps when i insert it.

my keyboard is usb and works fine.

not many options in my "micky mouse"bios to play with.

ps/2 legacy support: enabled/disabled.

ps/2 kbs device node:auto/present.

plug and play options just to do with the graphics card: vga boot from pci/agp.

serial ports all set to auto.

usb set to ports 1+2

tried all various settings available.and a different mouse.also set bios to defaults.

still no joy.

both xp and linux dont see it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…