PS Elements 9. - should the background be grey?

sheila.weston 17:29 04 Jan 11

I have just installed Photoshop Elements 9 on my Vista laptop. Should the backgrounds be grey, as opposed to the usual white? It is rather depressing and not so easy to read.

BT 17:45 04 Jan 11

Its been like that from version 6, but I believe there's an option in later versions to change it. I can't tell you how aqs I haven't got the later version, but have a sort around in the preferences as its probably in tere.

hssutton 17:50 04 Jan 11

In photoshop with an image open right click on the grey margin and you get the option for Grey, Black or custom colour. Elements may be the same.

Bapou 18:22 04 Jan 11

hssutton is correct, Elements 9 is the same.

john bunyan 19:05 04 Jan 11

In my version, (PS CS5) you click on Edit/Preferences then change the background as hssutton says.

hssutton 19:27 04 Jan 11

John that's correct, but it's far easier & quicker to right click in the margins of an image, especially if you want to check a background colour against your image

sheila.weston 22:32 04 Jan 11

I have PSE open in edit view, select edit>preferences, but can't see what relates to the background. There is 'Display and Background', but that seems to relate to the background of an image.

I have tried right-clicking around the screen edges, but get the taskbar and toolbar preferences.

Ah, I have found the Adobehelp.exe file, which has 'set your preferences', but it is already ticked for the 'light' theme. I changed it to 'dark', but nothing happened, so I changed it back to light.

What have I missed?

john bunyan 22:37 04 Jan 11

In CS5: Edit> Preference >Interface then click on Standard Screen mode. Hssuttons method quicker - have a photo open.

QuizMan 22:54 04 Jan 11

hssutton is right (up to a point) about right-clicking the margin with an image open. From there you select custom colour and set it to white. I have PSE 9 and it works for me. However, it is not a permanent change and the background changes back to grey when the image is closed.

So far, I have not found a way to make a permanent change to the background

Bapou 23:00 04 Jan 11

Open your image and right click anywhere in the grey area outside of the image. No need to go to the edge of screen.

The right click will offer you the option to only change interface colour. Increasing or decreasing the Grey interface is not possible in Elements 9.

click here

john bunyan 13:05 05 Jan 11

Have you tried editing preferences as above?(04 22:37)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…