ps constantly rebooting

llollipoppi 13:12 22 Jun 06

Hi I'm running windows xp home edition, my p,c has started rebooting randomly about 3-4 times a day, i have done various virus scans as this has happened before and was the problem but doesnt seem to be this time, i checked the event viewer and have picked up on an error in the system which seems to appear when the rebooting occurs its as follows:

The follwing boot start or system start drivers failed to load: inspect

it is in the service control manager

there is also another error which occurs at the same time:

does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? i did recently delete a khost application as i was told it can make my machine vunerablt to viruses?

any help appreciated

Many thanks

Diodorus Siculus 13:17 22 Jun 06

Try this as a starter:

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

llollipoppi 13:37 22 Jun 06

Just comlpeted that check, i assume it didnt find any errors as when i came back to p.c, it had completed with no error box's, is threr any other steps u could recommend?

thanks once again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:40 22 Jun 06

Disable auto-reboot
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, ofter it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

llollipoppi 14:02 22 Jun 06

oh meant to say, if sfc.exe checked my files, would it repair any automatically without my knowledge and if so, should i maybe leave the machine for a couple of hours to see if the problem persists?

llollipoppi 14:04 22 Jun 06

thanks fruitbat have done this so will the error message stay until i turn the machine back on?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 22 Jun 06

Machine will stay on showing blue screen with error message.
Note down the message and reboot, post the message here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:38 22 Jun 06

sfc will replace files as necessary.

It may ask you to insert the XP CD if there is not a i386 folder on your hard drive, otherwise just wait till its finishes scanning, can take awhile

llollipoppi 17:25 22 Jun 06

hi machine shutdown again but did not stay on as a blue screen showing message, so the sfc couldnt have worked, is there anything else it could be?

SANTOS7 17:31 22 Jun 06

click here
sasser worm will constanly reboot your pc...

The Old Mod 17:33 22 Jun 06

Hi I've seen a faulty power supply or (psu) do this before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…