Proxy settings

kizandtango 23:24 21 Jul 03

hey, i can log onto broadband and log onto server the usual way, and it accepts username and password. BUT wen i try t go to a webpage, it says "detecting proxy settings" and then says "cannot find server, server or DNS error" if i type in a web addy, it says "internet exploror cannot open search page" HELP ! its not the internet thats the problem coz im usin a diff comp and can get online no trouble!!

HELP

Thankns

Pete

beeuuem 23:48 21 Jul 03

Does your ISP use a proxy?
If it doesn't look in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings and check that 'Use a proxy server for this connection' is not ticked.

beeuuem 23:48 21 Jul 03

Does your ISP use a proxy?
If it doesn't look in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings and check that 'Use a proxy server for this connection' is not ticked.

kizandtango 23:51 21 Jul 03

but what do i put in the address and port bits?
and i dont even know if thats the solution so keep them cummin plz !

Smiler 10:23 22 Jul 03

as beeuuem says make sure that "Use a proxy server for this connection" is NOT ticked. Because if it's not ticked you don't need an address or port.

kizandtango 12:28 22 Jul 03

whoops, red those messages wrong.well either way it isnt ticked.and never was.next solution please?

beeuuem 15:55 22 Jul 03

Check your firewall settings, eg that Internet Explorer is a trusted application.

kizandtango 22:31 22 Jul 03

check and check.runnin out of ideas?next plz?

Gaz 25 01:27 23 Jul 03

Spyware? click here try it...

Gaz 25 01:27 23 Jul 03

1 known culprit is Marketscore.

kizandtango 23:08 25 Aug 03

hey i got no spyware on the laptop, all net settings are unchanged, cant system resore, have no points to restore too. the message in the address bar comes up as: opening page res://c\windows\system32\.shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm....

i dont get it, grrr !!! help plz??? i tried re installing the shdoclc.dll file but i cant delete the old one for some reason or replace it.

help plz??

me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…