Protection - opinion please

Jai 11:48 11 Apr 09

After a re-install I am nearly back to my desired state. I did have installed A2;AVG;Spybot;Spyware Blaster;Ad-aware but for some reason I am reluctant to put Spybot back on.
I don't know why, beacause it did not cause the breakdown & the only pain with it is when you have to choose "yes or no" to install anything. Am I being too cautious?

Bapou 12:15 11 Apr 09

When AVG8 first came on the scene it caused problems with Blaster and Spybot. This is possibly the reason for your reluctance. I understand these issues have now been resolved although I don't use Blaster or Spybot myself.

Over cautious? Not necessarily, better to be safe than sorry, although one Antivirus and one Antimalware is considered sufficient by many.

My preferences are AVG 8.5, which comes with AntiSpyware built in, Malwarebytes for good measure.

provider 2 12:35 11 Apr 09

Avast 4.8 home
Malwarebytes AntiMalware
SuperAntispyware
SpywareBlaster
and Spybot (especially the immunise function)

Avg 8.5 free has no rootkit protection click here

No known conflict with Avast and any of these anti-spyware programs.

birdface 13:28 11 Apr 09

I would go with provider 2 selections and maybe add WOT, which warns you of any bad sites that you may enter.It only puts a small round icon on your toolbar which changes color when entering a bad site.

ACOLYTE 14:35 11 Apr 09

I have never had spybot pop up asking me to choose
yes/no when installing anything,maybe its somthing i havento got activated with it,but it has never done this for me.

DieSse 14:44 11 Apr 09

You might also consider the (free) Comodo Security Suite - All-in-one.

For paid (and better, faster protection) Eset Security Suite.

Otherwise provider2s recommendations are fine. Leave AVG behind - it's protection is not really up to scratch. See this further page on it's limitations

click here

Jai 15:31 11 Apr 09

Thanks fellas - will take on board. Not been "in the loop" for 14 months so quite a few things are enlightening - you rapidly fall behind if you don't keep up!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac