Protecting or hiding folders

Seadog 10:24 17 Jun 09

I now have to carry a couple of portable hard drives around with me for my work - these have several files that I need to keep private from others.
These contain confidential reports and such.

Unfortunately these drives are often plugged into general access computers, is there any way (within Windows or by using separate software) that I can protect or hide - reasonably securely, certain files on the drive from prying eyes, whilst still leaving other files open for access.
Or, if push came to shove, how I can deny access to the drive at all when it is plugged into another computer?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

T I M B O 12:36 17 Jun 09

There is a way to hide them yes. Right click the folder you wish to hide then go to properties. You will see near the bottom "Hidden" NOW!! before you do this, you need to check ur settings and make sure you can test this on a folder that's empty. If you make a buff coloured folder on desk top, open it then go to "Tools" & click

then click the view tab
then look for "Do not show hidden files and folders.
With these settings you can hide anything. There is another way but thats easier to tell when they are hidden. If you wanna check this out then look here >> click here

mfletch 12:39 17 Jun 09

Or you can password protect them this works very good,

AxCrypt File Encryption

click here

Seadog 13:57 17 Jun 09

TIMBO - yes, thanks - I know how to hide them like that but as the drive will be plugged into general access computers I don't want to have to change the settings on these each time - this might mean logging in as a network administrator and I don't always know the password, and believe me, most people that use these computers will know how to look for 'hidden' files - knowing some of them it would be the first thing they would do as soon as my back is turned!

mfletch - thanks, I've just downloaded that and will see if it's ok.

As the files are on a removable/portable HDD, I need an app that will travel with or on, that drive, independent of any pc.
If my company wasn't as tight as it is, they might actually supply me with software to do the job!

rawprawn 14:09 17 Jun 09

click here
Not free but excellent and for a lifetime of updates.
I have used this to protect my financial data for about 5 years. (It used to be HFXP)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…