Protecting a netgear home wireless system

John B 12:04 12 Dec 04

I have installed a wireless netgear system using a DG834G router & modem. The system comprises two desktops and a laptop all running XP pro and it works very well.

However, I know my network is currently unprotected (for example, someone nearby could access my broadband connection with a suitable wireless card in their computer.

Could anyone please give me a idiot's guide to making the network secure?

Many thanks

John

johnnyrocker 12:09 12 Dec 04

either the support section on the website of your equipment manufacturer, or click here or click here. should be of use.

johnny.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 15:09 12 Dec 04

In the manual on the CD provided follow the instructions for headed 'Choosing WEP Authentication and Security Encryption Methods'. On my copy this starts at page 58.'

woody147 15:31 12 Dec 04

Also:
1. Uncheck the box which enables 'broadcast of wireless identity (SSID)'
2. Change the above to something other than 'NETGEAR'.
2. Limit access to your wireless network by MAC address.
3. Change the default admin password in your routers' setup
4. Only share folders/files where you absolutely need to.

John B 19:26 12 Dec 04

Cheers for the advice. woody147, I assume your advice is easy to follow once I've have logged in to the netgear admin page?

Thanks again

John

Mikè 20:16 12 Dec 04

It would appear that the DG834G supports wpa encryption, this is more secure than wep but all your wireless network cards have to support it.

However any type of network encryption is better than none at all.

woody147 22:29 12 Dec 04

yes - all of this can be done from the admin panel under 'wireless settings'. To limit access by MAC address use the 'setup access list' button.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced