Protecting my wireless connection

kittycatxxx 21:49 06 Nov 07

If i have a wireless connection through a wireless router and usb adapter....how do i make my connection secure against people trying to piggyback' off my wireless??

mgmcc 23:04 06 Nov 07

Go into the router's wireless settings and enable WEP or, preferably, the more secure WPA encryption.

Zion_Lion 01:13 07 Nov 07

Hi kittycatxxx... it is also good practice to change the default administrator name and password for the router if you haven't already.
If you don't already know how to access your router, typing the IP address of 192.168.0.1 in the address bar in your web browser and clicking GO or pressing enter should bring up a log on box where you can enter the default admin name and password which should be on a sticker on the router, or on paperwork supplied by your ISP with the router. If the IP address that I mentioned earlier happens not to be the default address and you can't access your router, get back to me with the make & model of the router.
And if you know all of this already, I hope you've solved your little dilemma.

Regards ZL

ambra4 08:31 07 Nov 07

Take a read at these sites, will help you to understand the correct ways to set up your wireless security

Wireless Lan Set-up

click here

10 ways to wireless security

click here

Wireless security

click here

The ten-minute guide to wireless security

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…