Protecting my new PC

Dipso 23:16 29 Nov 03

I have a few question. I have just got myself a new PC with XP installed.

I have been running AVG on my old PC which I have been happy with. I was intending to use AVG on this PC. Does it work well with XP? If so, can I burn the set up files to CD and install it that way rather than downloading it again?

I have not yet set up the internet connection and want to know the best way of going about it, to ensure that I don't get the Blaster worm or any of it's variants in the process. Can I download a patch and save it on CD?

I have been using ZoneAlarm as my firewall. My old OS was Win ME and I had no problems with it. I have heard that the XP firewall isn't much use and I am better disabling it. Are there any known problems using ZA (free version) and XP? I don't really want to change to using another firewall unless there are.

VoG II 23:21 29 Nov 03

AVG and ZA will both work perfectly happily with XP. The important thing is to get the patch that stops Blaster and its variants click here

Jester2K II 23:23 29 Nov 03

If you have downloaded an old version of AVG it might be worth downloading a new up to date copy as the first thing after installation you should do is an update. Either way you have a big download ahead and the internet is no place to be with out of date AV!

Dipso 23:37 29 Nov 03

VoG
Ok, so I can download the patch using my old machine. Thanks.

Jester2K II
I have two AVG set up files, avg6286fu and avg6374fu_free. The second one appears to be the latest version that I have. The program version is 6.0.545. Do you know if this is the latest version?

Halmer 07:33 30 Nov 03

avg6541fu_free.

There have been a couple of small updates since then that take only a few seconds to download.

I have AVG and Zone Alarm and both seem to work fine on XP.

Dipso 20:53 30 Nov 03

Thanks, I will download the latest version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…