Protecting my images

odb 20:37 06 Oct 03

Im creating a site to display my work and would like to protect them from being the moment i have disabled roght clicking and dragging the mouse to highlight but in Internet Explorer all i need to do is hover over an image to get a small toolbar to pop up allowing me to copy image, how can i prevent this?

My site is click here

any help appreciated :)

slowhand_1000 21:18 06 Oct 03

I am using IE5.5 and hovering over your image does not bring any toolbars into view.

Patr100 22:08 06 Oct 03

IE 6.0 has this facilty. I don't know of any way of preventing it with normal jpegs.It's very easy to bypass most attempts to prevent image saving. I know it's "under construction" but there are already a couple of typos on your site.

Sir Radfordin 22:09 06 Oct 03

Would it be:

You are looking to protect?

As you can see the answer is there is nothing you can do to protect. The measures taken so far are pointless and will only annoy people.

I use the 'right click' menu all the time when browsing and a site likes yours would only annoy me.

You have the copyright on those images providing they are your own original work. All you can do is hope people respect that...and if they don't ask them to do so.

click here

click here

Forum Editor 22:55 06 Oct 03

there's no certain way of preventing image theft - any web image you see on your screen is already cached on your hard drive, and you can save it from the cache. I have just copied your main .jpg image into Paint Shop Pro, it took about thirty seconds to do.

My advice is not to be obsessive about this - if someone wants your image they'll take it, and it's best to get on with the site and forget about it. Sir Radfordin is right when he says that people will be irritated by your pop-up messages, and in fact many of them will take your image simply because of that - they'll see it as a challenge.

You've spelt consent wrongly on the pop-up, and you need to correct 'currenlty'.

Your image is very nice by the way - well done.

odb 00:16 07 Oct 03

Ok thanks, typo's im aware one has seen that page apart from you and no one will till its finished. Thanks again

GroupFC 08:21 07 Oct 03

Just to add that in any event, in Opera I don't get the same pop up as in IE6, so right clicking is no problem!

HighTower 17:03 14 Oct 03

It's fairly impossible to protect your images. Some software can prevent right click and even stop your computer from caching images, but you can always press "Print Screen" and take a screen grab then paste it into Photoshop or whatever, even if right click is disabled! I think that if you put anything on the web you have to accept that people can take what's there, although that's not an excuse to nick peoples images.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…