Protecting IP Address

PaulOwen 13:56 25 Jul 05

Is there any way in protecting our IP address when on the net. For example when you have a mobile fone you have the option of not sending your number when calling someone. Can the same be done with an IP address? If so, how?

mgmcc 14:12 25 Jul 05

Type "hide ip address" (with the inverted commas) into Google. There are numerous applications to do it but not, it seems, for free!

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:25 25 Jul 05

No you cannot. You need the IP address so that web pages can be sent to you. You do not visit a web page, they visit you. The so-called 'anonymiser' programmes do not work, I can assure you. There is no need to hide your address unless you are a spook or into well-dodgy stuff.

G

PaulOwen 14:34 25 Jul 05

Ok GANDALF <|:-)> I am not into anything 'dodgy' as you put it but I won't go into details but there have been threats to me, so how easy is it for someone to obtain my ip address then my home address should i change it through my internet provider.

PaulOwen 15:04 25 Jul 05

^

octal 15:30 25 Jul 05

"so how easy is it for someone to obtain my ip address then my home address should i change it through my internet provider."

Virtually Nil, so stop worrying, it sounds like the low life who are threatening you would not have the intelligence to do that anyway.

PaulOwen 15:47 25 Jul 05

Thankyou for trying to put me at ease octal but can it be done. For example if I am in a chatroom or on msn messanger for example.

octal 18:06 25 Jul 05

No, I - don't - fink - so, unless they had someone in their pay at MSN, and what are the chances of that?

I'm reading between the lines here, I get the impression you are being threatened via the Internet, depending on the threats, mention it to the appropriate authorities. I have had situations like this before and like all bullies they are cowards, so either report them or better still ignore them and they will go away and enjoy your surfing.

Good luck.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:32 25 Jul 05

Getting your IP address is easy but it changes everytime you log on unless your computer is a server or part of a business network. Even if someone gets your IP address they can do naff all as there is no way of finding who it is assigned to. Chill.

G

PaulOwen 18:42 25 Jul 05

Thanks GANDALF <|:-)> I can rest a little easier, although I tested out your theory and run/cmd/ipconfig my IP address was the same after as it was before I shut down my computer!?

PaulOwen 20:07 25 Jul 05

Thanks GANDALF <|:-)> how about my last query!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…