protecting hard drive access from non-admin users?

theDarkness 22:29 10 Oct 06

im going to let this pc out to others so im looking for a program that can protect any extra hard drives (and perhaps also the main windows hard drive's installed programs folder) from access by non administrative users? Perhaps access is the wrong word, ive no problems in other users being able to run or view the files, just not being able to modify anything would be just fine.

If thats not possible, simply not being able to access the extra hds and the windows installed folder will do as a last resort. Is it possible that xp has a similar feature to any of the above, or does that refer to only xp pro and not the home editions?

thanks for any info! :)

garrema 22:57 10 Oct 06

What wrong with only letting the others use a guest account;
Set the admin account up as passworded and a guest acc without permission to change anything.

theDarkness 23:24 10 Oct 06

thanks for the reply :)

I can tell xp to bar certain folders from limited account users, but not entire hds, and I didnt really want to ban access or viewing, only prevent changes.
ive set accounts up as limited, but xp is pretty vague and doesnt seem to tell me exactly what they can and cant do with a list of options to change? It seems I just have to right click folders in my own account and set them up as 'private'?

theDarkness 23:26 11 Oct 06

bump! :O
another thing i was wondering if anyone can help was how to 'make folder private'? I noticed this is a 'sharing' option when I right click on any folder and select the sharing tab, but I do not seem to be able to click in the box to apply it? it is an admin account! Im sure this is probably a very obvious problem, but im half asleep. lol :(

Field Division 23:44 11 Oct 06

Open My Computer

Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive (C:), unless you have more than one drive on your computer).

If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.

Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.

Double-click your user folder.

Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click Properties.

On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I have access to it check box
This option is only available for folders included in your user profile. Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make these folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer
When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well. For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its subfolders unless you make them private
You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as NTFS For information about converting your drive to NTFS

theDarkness 00:12 12 Oct 06

thanks for the reply! :) yep, thats pretty much what ive done, but the 'make folders private' is faded out no matter what section of the drive i am on, so when I click on the box, nothing happens.

I have noticed that the folders in 'my documents' are already selected as 'private', but I cant unselect the option either to make them non private? Thats not what i want, but there doesnt seem to be a point in having the option, if you cant choose? :( both drives are ntfs, im running xp home

Field Division 00:19 12 Oct 06

Its getting late now so you may have tried this too, go into control panel/folders and tick the following,Display the contents of system folders/show hidden folders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5