Protecting Data on pen drives

goose1984 09:34 18 Apr 05

Hiya all,

I am going to buy a load of 512mb pen drives and have my company logo on them. The question is, is there any way I can stop the user deleting my company information and just using the pen drive for their own personal use.

I have thought about password protecting a folder with all my information in but then that defeats the object because they will need to know the password to access the information. Therefore they could delete the information.

I have also thought about putting the files to read only under the properties but this can be easily changed back.

If anyone knows or could come up with an idea of how to do this please could you let me know

Thankyou

Audeal 11:10 18 Apr 05

goose1984. I am no expert in these things but it did come to mind, when I read your thread, that it might be possible to partition the drive and put your info on this "small" partition and then protect the partition. But as I said, I do not know if this is possible as it is just a thought I had. I am sure someone can tell you if it is possible and how to do it.

Audeal

Belatucadrus 11:43 18 Apr 05

You would need a pen drive with some form of hardware write protection. The problem with this is that they are user controlled, usually a small switch and can easily be reset, allowing the user to reformat the pen and use as required.

" is there any way I can stop the user deleting my company information and just using the pen drive for their own personal use. " not that I'm aware of, I watch this posting with interest to see if anybody knows otherwise.

What exactly are the pen drives to be used for, maybe there is an alternative solution ?

vitrocmax 11:49 18 Apr 05

Maybe you could choose a drive that has a write-protect switch, and use a blob of glue to lock the switch in place?

Audeal 16:52 18 Apr 05

vitrocmax. If the switch was glued in the protect position then how on earth would one delete any data saved on the drive during normal use.

Audeal 22:30 19 Apr 05

In fact data could not be saved if the drive is protected, in fact the drive will become read only and totally useless.

PA28 22:53 19 Apr 05

Why are you giving away a promotional gift that is intended to generate goodwill (and thus presumably business) and then taking any usefulness out of that gift? This will have the opposite effect to that intended to the recipient - a bit like a cheap promo pen that doesn't work. Keep the sales message to the outside where the recipient will read and recall every time this most useful of gifts is used!

Or have I completely misunderstood what you're trying to do?

Pooke100 23:35 19 Apr 05

I know of no way to protect any data on the USB pens that cannot be easily be reversed by the user.

Any data or contact information is going to have to be on the casing, a company logo and maybe few words describing the business etc.

plsndrs3 10:38 20 Apr 05

As understand it, you are looking for a sort of 'start up' screen that details your company before allowing access to the drive. My employer tried a similar thing without success. The 'solution' we came was to have a partition that auto loaded which displayed corporate information then allowed access to the rest of the drive, with the first partition being locked. Nothing was available for this so my employer now supplies USB pens that have the corporate name, phone number & logo etched into the case. No removing that & the pen works well. Everytime the client uses the pen, they think of us [according to Marketing anyhow!] and, if they use it at one of their customers, our details are there too!

HTH

Paul

Fellsider 10:46 20 Apr 05

If you want to 'advertise' your company on these pen drives, which is what I am understanding from your initial posting. Why not etch the logo and company details onto the outside of the pen drive so that it will be seen before it is even used?

spuds 11:06 20 Apr 05

You will defeat the object of company advertising by using pen drives, and trying to 'imprint' a permanent partion, if it could be done successfully, which I would very much doubt.

If you intend supplying your customers with a pen drive, then the only permanent advertising solution as been recommended earlier. Get your company details laser-etched on the casing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…