protected while loged off

stevie2times 21:28 23 Oct 05

i was just wondering if when i log out of xp is my pc still protected eg:av,fw.i am still learning as you can proberly tell.but i would like to say this forum is brilliant i would like to say thankyou to all forum members.

stalion 21:35 23 Oct 05

if you are not connected to the internet your computer is still protected if you are working off line.Glad your happy with the best help forum on the net.

Jackcoms 15:54 24 Oct 05

This assumes, of course, that your anti-virus and anti-malware programs have up-to-date definitions.

If they are not up-to-date you are not fully protected.

ade.h 20:21 24 Oct 05

If you log off while a connection is active, you should see a yes/no question - do you want to keep this connection active? Useful if you are switching users, but if you are not, then close it.

stevie2times 21:08 25 Oct 05

when i log off all that happens is it goes to the log on screen it does not ask me any questions is there something wrong with my pc?i have zonealarm firewall sometimes i click stop all internet access and in the morning a dialog box says i have lost my network connection and windows as to repair connection (eg renew ip adress)is this normal.

stevie2times 21:12 25 Oct 05

oh yes i forgot to say i have a allways connected broadband my first question still stands.thankyou!

ade.h 21:20 25 Oct 05

Something wrong with your PC? No, but you need to take a detailed look at your configuration options. Post them here.

ade.h 21:27 25 Oct 05

You need to think of your ADSL line and the connection to your ISP as two distinct things. To the best of my knowledge, no-one has come up with any malware that can establish a connection with a potential host through an ADSL line when you are not connected to the internet. Try viewing a webpage without your ISP connection and you'll see what I mean.

Avoid the temptation to put your ISP connection in the Startup folder or allow it to connect automatically in any other way, so that you maintain full control.

Is your modem USB or PCI? I only use PCI ADSL modems partly because they disconnect themselves from the ADSL line when no user is logged in to XP.

ade.h 21:29 25 Oct 05

I have no way of knowing whether any USB ADSL modems behave in that way, but they may do. Either way, it would take an active ISP connection to be in a vulnerable state.

stevie2times 18:52 26 Oct 05

its a usb the thing that concerns me is the receive light on the modem is allways blinking thats why i think my pc is vunrable while logged off.do i have to unplug it.

mbp 20:21 26 Oct 05

No sure if this is the answer you are looking for. If you are logged off the internet, i.e. not connected to the internet, nothing can come down the line to your computer, since you are not connected.

Every time I am taking a break, lunch or coffee, I normally disconnect from the Internet manually, just in case something is happening when I am not present. Some people put the PC's on standby, but logging off is just as simple for me. I know with all my security programs it is not necessary, but logging off is my way of placing another layer of protection. I also turn off my monitor to reduce energy consumption especially if I could be away 3 or 4 hours. I am on a Broadband, always on, connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…