prossesor help please

FungusBoggieman 18:32 29 Jun 09

hi peeps
my current prossesor is a p4 2.4 intel
i have been to my pcmakers web site and it says my pc will suport up to p4 3.0
the problem i have is i have aquired a working p4 2.8 intel prossesor i have in stalled it very carefully and put everthing back in place on my mother board, when i start up pc fans com on then go of pc turns of strait away doe not even boot to bios.
i have put the old p4 2.4 back in and pc runs fine

anyone know what the problem could be
thanks FB

OTT_Buzzard 19:01 29 Jun 09

Firstly, are you sure that the p4 2.8GHz CPU you got works? Can it be tested in a different computer?

and secondly, what motherboard (or make / model of PC) do you have?

There could be any number of things causing it, but in all likelyhood it will be one of three:

1. The CPU doesn't work
2. It is not compatible with your motherboard
3. There is a motherboard jumper setting or BIOS adjustment that needs making

FungusBoggieman 19:42 29 Jun 09

yes the p4 2.8 is working it works in the other pc fine
Motherboard Supplier MS-6577 v2.x

specs
click here

DieSse 19:45 29 Jun 09

The difference between your 2.4GHz and a 2.8GHz is so small it ain't worth the hassle.

It may also be that your 2.8 is a different type to the 2.4 and not compatible with your motherboard.

There are a number of different 2.8GHz processors, including a Dual core version.

DieSse 19:54 29 Jun 09

See here -

click here

If you've got a Prescott version, then your motherboard does not support it (only Williamette and Northwood versions).

FungusBoggieman 19:58 29 Jun 09

ok then thanks DieSse if the difference isnt that much i will scrap the idea thanks
worth a try

thanks FB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…