pros and cons of installing other browsers

SurfMonkey _#:@} 21:58 04 Feb 06

pros and cons i.e 7 against other browsers

with ie 7 beta out what are the pros and cons of installing other browsers like firefox and opera which do you prefer what is the best for security, do you have to patch other browsers to work on a pc (windows xp). Can u uninstall ie 6/7 and install another by default.thanks

woodchip 22:02 04 Feb 06

I have used Firefox but not found it any faster that what I returned to Netscape 7.2 as it as a good E-Mail client also in it click here

woodchip 22:04 04 Feb 06

It's got good pop-up blocking etc under Edit\Preferences

walesrob 22:08 04 Feb 06

I have Firefox, IE7, Opera, Netscape and Slim Browser, and all work fine.

Firefox gets my vote for the best browser.

ashdav 01:17 05 Feb 06

ditto

Kate B 01:24 05 Feb 06

Firefox is great - so customisable with themes and extensions. And tabbed browsing is just wonderful. I hate working in an office where IE is the only browser available - multiple windows, ads all over the place - yuck.

ashdav 01:39 05 Feb 06

You can have as many browsers as you like.
I personally have found IE to be unstable and needing to be restored/repaired occasionally whereas Firefox has performed without fault and as Kate B says you can adapt it to suit yourself any way you want.
The main difference between IE and Firefox is that IE comes as a complete (bloated) package trying to be all things to all men but Firefox is a basic browser that you can add to and adapt as you require.
It's also more secure at the moment until the hackers turn their attentions to it.
Just to put things in perspective, Firefox has had (I think) 2 security updates in the last 12 months whereas IE has had God knows how many.
QED.

Gongoozler 08:25 05 Feb 06

The only advantage I can see for IE is that some web pages are only tested in it and have problems with other browsers, however in Firefox a right click enables these pages to be viewed in IE.

Gongoozler 08:27 05 Feb 06

... I should have said, if the small Firefox extension IE View is installed :-).

CurlyWhirly 09:36 05 Feb 06

I have also got used to using Firefox and in the last 6 months of using it, it hasn't given me any trouble.

I did however recently try out the IE7 BETA release but it seemed to conflict with my McAfee anti-virus and firewall so I uninstalled it.

Taw® 11:13 05 Feb 06

Firefox, Opera, IE and Avant for me. All for different reasons and with no real preference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017