Promblems after formatting acer

serpentesque 23:52 02 Nov 08

hi there.
i was having a major problem with my acer Travelmate 2420 during the summer, a friend of mine thought he was being helpful by formatting my machine, alas the then wiped the acer recovery system and since then it has never worked the same. i am upgrading to a new laptop with in the next couple of weeks and intend to give this one to my mum, and I would like it running normally for her, since i think random windows notices would freak her out a tad.
basically what i need to know s, if i buy a restore disk i found online (click here) will this fix all the problems i have had and allow me to use the windows key that is on the laptop.

cheers

Sea Urchin 00:31 03 Nov 08

The disk on your link is a Drivers recovery disk but does not include the operating system (XP) so you would need a separate disk for that to load first. It would have been available on the Acer recovery partition, but as you say your friend got rid of that.

serpentesque 00:38 03 Nov 08

i have just been running all sorts of checks, up until now i have had to much of a problem and have worked round what i have. I have discoverd he has installed XP pro on here so the key i had was kind of null and void because of that :(
so i am thinking of buying a new XP home disk along with the recovery disk, with the hope it will get it up to scratch. but thinking about it if i buy XP i wouldnt really need the acer disk i guess.
i don't really know i'm a little flummoxed by it all i guess

Sea Urchin 11:25 03 Nov 08

If you could borrow a copy of XP Home from a friend you can install that using the key on the laptop.

serpentesque 14:11 03 Nov 08

would my key definately work since it is specifically for an acer dedicated version of windows??

Sea Urchin 14:29 03 Nov 08

I would have thought so, but it's definitely worth a try before buying something else

serpentesque 14:44 03 Nov 08

ok cool. i shall try it, if i can find someone with a disk lol
cheers for the advice

tullie 14:55 03 Nov 08

An Acer recovery disc would be no good if youve deleted the partition with recovery files in it.

canarieslover 15:45 03 Nov 08

Borrow a copy of XP Home and re-install with your COA. Then goto click here and you should be able to find all the drivers for your laptop.

serpentesque 19:26 03 Nov 08

i am still trying to find someone with a copy of XP, by the looks of it no one seems to have been issued with the disk when they bought there machines... i'm starting to run out of options now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…