PROGRAMS WONT RUN--VIRUS ????

DUNMINING 14:10 27 Oct 03

windows xp, amd 2000, msikt4v,512mb ram---hi, after my son being on the internet (firewall disabled,-i didn,t know )-i find i cannot start any progs,--windows loads and shuts down ok but i cant run anything including system restore. just before it all went pear shaped norton a/virus told me i had trojan adclicker onboard, it couldn,t be fixed and i had to re-install norton a/virus cos it could,nt read my subscription data-------has virus caused all this or is s/thing else wrong,---please help --i,m on my old pc at moment (its like climbing out of a ferrari and getting on a pushiron !!!!)--cheers, dave

madPentium 14:29 27 Oct 03

sounds like windows is corrupted from the virus. Many viruses put registry entries in to prevent anything with .com or .exe being run.
If you know the virus name, you may be able to download a removal tool to clear it up and reverse the damage. Simply scanning viruses doesnt repair the registry, whereas the removal tools do.
Go to the symantec.com web site, click on downloads and then click virus removal tools.
Look in the list (quite large) for the name of the virus you had and download it. You may have to use another pc to do this, but they all fit onto a floppy disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…