Programs wont open while on the net

karl_a 20:55 05 Jan 06

Hi,

When I am connected to the internet, I cannot open any programs that are installed on my computer. The only things that I can open are folders to browse or things like MSN Messenger that run in the system tray. I currently have my internet connection with Tiscali Broadband at 1Meg (only received as 512Kbps for BT's reasons). I have Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Sunbelt Software CounterSpy, Norton Internet Security 2006 and Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier. If it is of any use, I have recently upgraded my motherboard and processor (along with formatting my hard discs) to a MSI PT8 Neo-V with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz.

Thanks,
Karl

Skyver 21:02 05 Jan 06

Do you get any error messages?

karl_a 16:15 06 Jan 06

No, I do not receive any error messages. The programs just wont open. It is also intermittant and choosy of when it wants to do this. When the internet has been on for about 5 minutes, all of the programs that I have told to open suddenly appear and others will open too.

Thanks,
Karl

karl_a 19:24 15 Jan 06

Does anyone here know how to fix this?

recap 19:27 15 Jan 06

I would check NIS 2006 settings, and any firewalls you have.

karl_a 17:18 16 Jan 06

I can tell it is not NIS and NSW causing this problem because if you disable the whole program I still have this problem.

Thanks,
Karl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now