programs running on start up and hanging PC

kingussie 14:43 19 Mar 04

When I start up windows there are always about 15 programs running when I press C alt Del. On my new Pc there is only 1 or two. Quest Can I delete these and if so how and is it safe. Could these be causing my PC to hang such that I have to switch of and pull the battery

johnnyrocker 14:49 19 Mar 04

what os?

JerryJay 14:50 19 Mar 04

Depend on which program. Most can be stopped without any problem. You can find what they are by looking the name, for example, real player update schedule etc.

A very nice program which can set which program to start when start up is Startup Control Panel click here. In my view, this is the one of the best free program one can find. By the way, this program was also mentioned in one computer mag., cannot remember which one. A few more program in Mike Lin's web site also useful.

One thing to remmeber, do not confuse with programs on start up and process window start up. It is not advisable to disable any process unless you know what you are doing.

Are you sure 15 program not 15 processes?

woodchip 15:03 19 Mar 04

Go to start\Run and type MSCONFIG press OK go to startup tab and remove what tickes you want exept Anti Virus and FireWall you can restore if things do not work right by starting in safe mode and put the ticks back. No need to delete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…