programs not showing in "All Programs"

Ray5776 11:05 15 Aug 09

Hello everyone,
my daughter has been using my pc and I now find shortcuts are missing from the screen and only a few programs now showing in "All Program".
These programs do show in "Add Remove"
I think they may be hidden, system restore may
fix this but I cannot access it as that is not showing.
Any ideas please.

Ray

lotvic 11:14 15 Aug 09

What OS ?
XP home, Pro or Vista?

Ray5776 11:27 15 Aug 09

Sorry XP Pro.

lotvic 11:32 15 Aug 09

Have you tried running the system restore from Safe Mode? (F8 at boot)

Ray5776 11:41 15 Aug 09

F8 at boot gives me a choice of boot options, I can`t
find safe mode.

lotvic 12:22 15 Aug 09

F8 screen options should look like this click here

What do you get?

ened 12:39 15 Aug 09

Open My Computer and Programme files.

Find the programme you want, then the .exe file and right-click. In Vista one of the options is to 'Pin to Start Menu'. If that doesn't work drag it and drop it on the start button.

gazzaho 12:43 15 Aug 09

On my system if I continually tap F8 early in the boot process I get a list of hard drives which I can boot from. If I continually tap F8 later it shows the safe mode screen. If your BIOS is similar to mine it may depend when you start tapping the F8 button as to which screen is displayed.

I thought this worth mentioning as it may have some bearing on the safe mode issue.

lotvic 13:49 15 Aug 09

Just a thought, maybe XP has cleaned up the desktop of unused (in last month) shortcuts.
If that has happened they will be in a folder on your desktop called 'Unused Desktop Shortcuts'

But that wouldn't explain why some programs are also missing from 'All Programs' list.

Ray5776 14:06 15 Aug 09

Hi again, sorry for the long delay but I am still struggling with this. I eventually managed to access safe mode by pressing f8 at the last second.
I was then able to run a restore but it did not sort things.
I did get a message "pcts tray.exe unable to find component" if that means anything.

thanks Ray

lotvic 14:50 15 Aug 09

pctsTray.exe - Application Error click here
It is part of 'PC Tools, Spyware Doctor'
Do you have PC Tools installed?

I am beginning to think that you have 2 lots of antivirus running and they are conflicting or there is some malware/virus playing havoc with system.

Please can you see/find what antivirus and anti-malware programs you have installed and running.

and if possible do a scan of system with what you have - and tell us on here which prog it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…