Programs Not Responded After Windows Auto Update

mick wilding 22:00 15 Apr 06

I have just had the following Windows Updates Auto Downloaded; kb911565, kb9128212, kb 890830, pk911562, kb908531.

Now when I go into my computer, my documents etc using the windows explorer and clickn the "expand" + sign, nothing happens. If I click on the file name ie, My Computer etc then the files within show up in the right hand panel.

Now, when I close these screens the title bar remains along the bottom of the screen. If I restored and then end the program I get the message "Not Responding".

This began a couple of days back. I restored xp back to the rstore point and everything worked fine until Windows auto downloaded these 5 updates again.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong

VoG II 22:05 15 Apr 06

KB908531 seems to be the problem click here

Try removing it using Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and ensure that 'Show Updates' is ticked at the top.

mick wilding 22:17 15 Apr 06

thanks for the info.

I have just used the restore point previous to this update and everything is now working fine. However, the updates will load again no doubt, but next time I'll be ready for them.

Thanks again

arris 22:21 15 Apr 06

Hang on it's a critical update in it, so removing it is gonna make you vulnerable again.

terryf 00:07 16 Apr 06

I have this update with no probs

terryf 00:10 16 Apr 06

click here to see msoft After you install security update MS06-015 (908531) (click here), you may experience one of more of the following issues:

mick wilding 06:13 16 Apr 06

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have a further question for you. The Microsoft Database states that I should change a registry setting because of the HP product conflicts with this update.

If I make a restore point prior to changing the registry, and I need to go back to it, will this restore the registry to its state before I tinkered with it?

Taff™ 07:00 16 Apr 06

Safest way is to make a back up of the registry. Once you have opened regedit go to File>Export. Have a read about restoring the registry from the help files - it will explain it for you better than I can. click here for an experts guidance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5