Programs That Load On Startup

Estel 12:08 19 Oct 03

This is a modified version of the question I misposted on Consumerwatch. Now I'm searching the right forum I've come up with a post that answers most of what I asked. I have got a supplementary question, though.

My computer loads quite a number of programs on Startup, most of which I don't want, some of which I have no memory of ever asking for. However the names of some of them are not very transparent. How do I track down which one are essential (like Systray) and which are redundant?

Having found the Startup list By running Startup/Run/msconfig/startup I now have a list of the programs that load on Startup. A post from 2001 suggests that I can safely eliminate any that appear below the entry "Load Power Profile". Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

There are a few that I wonder about:

Scheduling Agent
NPPROTECT
Iomega Watch (I have a Zip Drive)
SAgent2ExePath
Iomega Stratup options
Refresh
Microsoft Office Startup
Epson Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2

Do I just uncheck them to stop them loading?

On my taskbar I have a few other icons that are not listed in the Startup list:

QuickTime
SBLive
DiscDetector
A few others whose purpose seems fairly obvious

What about these/

Thanks

Estel

powerless 12:11 19 Oct 03

click here

Do I just uncheck them to stop them loading? - Yes.

RFC#50# 18:00 19 Oct 03

Yes you do but i advise you to use start>run>services.msc if you are unsure about what you are unchecking as you have less danger disabling a crucial system process.

powerless 18:07 19 Oct 03

A service is a little different to programs loading.

Programs - MSCONFIG

Services - Services.msc

You will not find a huge leap in free RAM and boot times with services.msc but you will with msconfig.

daba 18:10 19 Oct 03

click here and follow links to download a utility called "Starter".

This program shows all your startup programs, and enables you to disable them without removing them from the system, in case you need to re-enable.

also you can r-click an entry and get the properties fro it, like what it is, who made it etc. this will enable you to decide whether to keep it or ditch it.

Estel 08:56 27 Oct 03

Thanks for your replies.

Estel

The Spires 09:21 27 Oct 03

daba, nice progie I haven't seen 'Starter' before'.

poprob 22:21 29 Oct 03

Thanks from a thicko, its a question which I didn't want to ask

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…