Programs in Dos

Bagsey 10:54 06 Jun 09

I know that tis is giving my age away but I have a problem.
Very early in my computer usage I started building a family tree. This was in a prgram running in dos3 the I think finally in dos5. I remember running it ing dos associated with windows, windows95. Since then the disbks have been lost in the back of a cupboard but now I need to reactivate the information that I have collected. Can anyone give me a clue how I can get the info. off these discs so that I can add it to a new version of a family tree program. I am running XPpro Sp2. I tried to find dos in this but have no idea where to start or even if it is possible. Any help or advice gratefully received.

DieSse 11:16 06 Jun 09

DOS isn't in XP - but there is a DOS emulator. You find it under Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt. A "DOS" window will open up - and you can make it full screen also.

mgmcc 11:16 06 Jun 09

Unlike Windows 95, 98, ME, Windows XP doesn't run on top of DOS. Although you can open a Command Prompt window in XP, it isn't DOS. ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK.)

If you were to boot the PC with a Windows 98 "boot floppy", would this let you access the DOS files?

DieSse 11:30 06 Jun 09

Incidentally - you don't need DOS to read the information of the floppies - it all depends on whether the information (ie data) on it's own is useful. If you need to run the program, it may run quite happily in a command window.

On the other hand, if the data you want is held in a GEDCOM file, and your new program can import GEDCOM files - then you might only have to copy off the file them import it into your new program.

Bagsey 15:26 06 Jun 09

Thanks for your replies. They have given me food for thought.
I will try them later this evening and report back.
Thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac