Programs that are part uninstalled

weatherstation 19:59 06 Feb 08

Hi, I just had to reinstall windows XP after my computer went pear shaped. I now find that several programs that I had used Windows Remove programs, to uninstall them, have left odds and S!!!! still on my computer. Is there any free program that can remove these bits that have been left, without causing more problems. Thanks in advance for any help.

MAT ALAN 20:01 06 Feb 08
  weatherstation 20:18 06 Feb 08

Thanks Mat, I will give CC ago. Weatherstation

weatherstation 15:56 07 Feb 08

I tried CC Cleaner, it found loads of files I did not know I had, but it did not find the files left by AVG, so am a bit reluctant to delete files that I am not sure need deleting.

Arnie 17:46 07 Feb 08

If you are au fait using the registry, you can try searching for Grisoft the AVG company.

This may show some extra files you can delete.

weatherstation 19:49 07 Feb 08

Thanks for help Arnie, but the old AVG files won't delete or move to a folder due to the main part of AVG is missing. I think I will have to reinstall AVG and start again.

bluto1 21:59 07 Feb 08

I'll assome that you've taken cCleaner on board after MAT ALAN's post.
If you know which programmes need deleting open cCleaner, click on Tools scroll through the list that comes and one by one highlight them and delete.
Next step, you've probably taken it,is look in Program Files. There's usually some residue there.
My last is Does Windows remove Program really work?

brundle 22:02 07 Feb 08

"I just had to reinstall windows XP"; the left-overs are from previous installations, you can't pick up where you left off and use them. CCleaner won't detect or remove them as they're not going to be in the registry or in Windows' temp folders. Delete anything in "Program Files" you have not installed since re-installing XP.

Arnie 00:53 08 Feb 08

"I think I will have to reinstall AVG and start again."

Yes, this will often resolve a problem like yours.
Re-install AVG then use The Windows uninstaller in 'Control Panel'.

Arnie.

weatherstation 16:12 08 Feb 08

Thanks to Matt, Arnie, Bluto 1, for all your help. I will slowly work my way through all the programs that need deleting. I wonder if there is a better Windows Remove Program, than the one that comes with Windows? Perhaps CCleaner is better. Many thanks again for everybody's help.

brundle 23:11 08 Feb 08

CCleaner runs the same uninstall routines as Add/Remove Programs. RevoUninstaller is more thorough but as I said before, if you've re-installed there will be nothing for such programs to detect and remove. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now