programmes not running in ms-dos or windows

mum2904 10:52 07 Jun 05

currently running sempron 2200 on windowsxp service pack 1 have 384ram but when trying to load Ispy game from disc or optical mouse software from floppy getting systemfile not suitable for running ms-dos & microsoft windows applications . Can someone help as not sure what this means?

DieSse 11:29 07 Jun 05

On occasions the installation of SP2 can cause a file called "AUTOEXEC.NT" to be corrupted or deleted. This file is part of the Windows 16-bit subsystem and usually lives in the system32 folder.

What's happening when you get this error is that the setup for that program uses InstallSheild which is a 16-bit program. Since the AUTOEXEC.NT file is missing, it can't run the install program.

There is a backup of the file on your hard drive.

Double click "My Computer" then your hard drive (probably C drive) and open the "WINDOWS" folder.

Open "SYSTEM32" and see if the "AUTOEXEC.NT" file is in there. Chances are it isn't. If it is, then it's probably corrupt. Arrow up or hit "Back" to return to the main WINDOWS folder.

Go down to "Repair" and double click. You should find "autoexec.nt" and "config.nt" in there. Copy these files (Ctrl+C) then go back to SYSTEM32 and paste them there (Ctrl+V). It will ask you if you want to replace the old one—click "Yes".

If this doesn't work check out the Microsoft web page for additional fixes...
click here;en-us;324767&Product=winxp

mum2904 18:39 07 Jun 05

DieSse thanx a lot prob fixed instructions really clear for a complete novice like me

lewy40 14:14 14 Aug 05

had same problem followed dieSse instructions,sorted....

wasted303 19:05 27 Dec 05

thanks a lot i had the same problem but with another installtion this sorted it it quick thanks alot again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…