programme keeps dialing the internet

Maccyroo 18:53 19 Oct 04

Just installed some DVD X software and every time you start the programme it dials the internet. I have checked for options in the programme itself but cannot find anything and have even blocked the exe in my firewall settings but it still dials my modem everytime i open it.

Anyone got the answer or else any advice on stopping unwanted exe's dialing the internet in general.

cheers
maccyroo

Cook2 19:03 19 Oct 04

Internet Options - Connections. Make sure 'Never Dial a Connection' is ticked.

Maccyroo 19:10 19 Oct 04

That stops it all right but obviously also stops IE connecting to the internet too!

I just want to stop the DVDX software dialling the internet.

cheers

maccyroo

Cook2 19:20 19 Oct 04

Whoops, sorry Maccyroo, I've been on BB for well over a year now and was working from memory and was sure that's how I did it and had no problems with IE. I'll keep an eye on your thread to see the answer.

Cook2 19:20 19 Oct 04

Whoops, sorry Maccyroo, I've been on BB for well over a year now and was working from memory and was sure that's how I did it and had no problems with IE. I'll keep an eye on your thread to see the answer.

kev.Ifty 19:23 19 Oct 04

I personally would not give any software, that tries to dail the internet and does not have an obvious over ride, the time of day.
I don't know the spec of the software to which you reffer but you might like to look at this as an alternative... click here

DVD Shrink freeware

Kev.

Maccyroo 19:35 19 Oct 04

Normally I would agree you but as this DVD X software came off this months PCA cover disk so I assumed that rule did not apply.

Spyware! springs to re mind with a programme you can't stop dialing the net but I cannot believe a programme containing spyware could find its way onto the cover disc...? Do you?

Perhaps the editor can comment on this...

Maccyroo

gudgulf 19:37 19 Oct 04

I dont know which version of windows you are dialing ,but you can still connect to the internet by using the "connect to" option in the start menu (xp) and clicking on your isp. I had this problem on Windows me and it drove me nuts--Using never dial a connection option was the only sensible solution I found.

ps. You can drag a shortcut to the isp connection to the desktop to make things more convenient.

gudgulf 19:39 19 Oct 04

Whoops for dialing read using!!!

kev.Ifty 19:47 19 Oct 04

"Spyware" may be a little strong. But i ain't got the problem so can be chilled about the thing.

Might be worth uninstall/reinstall and read all the, em? "Stuff", that appears as you click next etc.. There may be an option to tick or untick amidst that lot.

Kev.

gudgulf 22:37 19 Oct 04

Many programs will dial the internet given the chance--A favourite being av applications like Norton looking for updates.The sort of tricks that rogue dialers and other spyware employ are redirecting your connection to a premium rate number or waiting until you are already online before "phoning home".In other words they are not likely to make their presence on your system known.If scanning for spyware with something like Adaware and Spybot S&D don't find anything untowards and this only happens with DVDX then you should uninstall it and try kev.Ifty's suggestion and link above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…