Programme auto downloaded

Bucksboy 01:23 16 Jan 04

I am continually getting a programme called XXXMPEG downloaded and installed on my PC automatically. Does anyone know of any method I can use to stop this happening. Sometimes I have no idea it is being installed until I see the icon on the desktop.
Bucksboy

Dragon Heart 02:12 16 Jan 04

Have you a firewall installed ? If not try Zone Alarm. Suggest you also install & run Adaware off PC Advisor site to get rid of unwanted cookies.

Please don't be offended but has anyone who uses the PC been on any er ....... adult sites of late as XXXMPEG looks a little suspicious

pc moron 02:23 16 Jan 04

XXXMPEG is almost certianly not a program- it's probably being downloaded because you have a Trojan Dialer on your machine, assuming you're on dialup.

Do you have Anti-virus software?

If you don't, then click here

and download a free Anti-virus tool.

When you've installed it, update it and scan your PC.

hugh-265156 02:31 16 Jan 04

as Dragon Heart suggested run both adaware and spybot click here click here you seem to be infected with a dialer.this dials a premium rate telephone number via your modem and will run up your telephone bills very quickly.if you have a broadband connection it cant dial out so not so much of a worry.

first click start/run and type "msconfig" and untick any reference to the dialer or xxx etc here(leave your antivirus and firewall ticked)and restart the computer.

next download,update and run both adaware and spybot on their default settings and delete anything they find.

you do not need to visit adult sites to get a dialer,its as simple as clicking yes to a pop that asks if you wish to install and run something.sometimes even if you click no it will still install as the yes no buttons can be switched about.in future right click the task bar/task manager/applications then select end task instead.

hugh-265156 02:33 16 Jan 04

sorry above should read

first click start/run and type "msconfig" and click the start up tab then untick any reference to the dialer or xxx etc here.

follow on with spybot and adaware

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…