Program for Self Assesment Tax

Sixosix 12:36 19 Jan 05

I heard today that the software called TaxCalc marketed by Intuit (of QuickBooks fame) will not be updated for the tax year 04-05. Can any one recommend from personal experience in 03-04 a simple uk tax compilation program like Taxcalc for 04-05?

Technotiger 13:03 19 Jan 05

Hi, can't answer your question directly, but have you tried the web site click here I
think you might find something there to help - I seem to remember seeing it on tv not so long ago.

Cheers.

Technotiger 13:07 19 Jan 05

Sorry don't think that one worked - but this one will.

click here

Cheers.

Stuartli 13:09 19 Jan 05

When I used to do self assessment until quite recently, the Inland Revenue provided an MS based program for the purpose.

Try its website:

click here

Stuartli 13:10 19 Jan 05

IR software link at:

click here

Nosmas 01:17 21 Jan 05

Sorry for the delay in posting but I have only just noticed your thread.

For some years I have used QMS's software for preparing and submitting my own and my wife's tax returns. Have a look at their site click here. Their program is an Excel based application and replicates the official Inland Revenue paper forms. All one needs to do is to complete all the relevant sections of the main and supplementary forms and the software will calculate the correct tax liability.

Before retirement I was an accountant and made a speciality of personal tax, but even I baulked at the prospect of filling in all those boxes and copying from one box to another in order to calculate my liability! This software does it all on the click of the mouse.

The software itself is free to individuals to download - professionals have to pay. However to submit the return electronically (or to print a hard copy) one has to purchase a Special Code at a cost of £7.50, but believe me it is worth every penny. Having downloaded the program, I launch it and then do a "Save As" and give a suitable name for my own return, then repeat the "Save As" to make a copy for my wife's return. I then complete each of these but still have the original "blank" downloaded copy available if I need to make another copy for whatever reason. The Special Code works for the submission of both my own and my wife's returns so the cost is only £3.75 for each return.

Stuartli 09:33 21 Jan 05

The free Inland Revenue software program I used (IIRC it was provided by Microsoft) did all that was required and also calculated the tax payable.

You just had to download it from the IR website, complete the sequence of form fields and then send it after completion. You could also print off the filled-in forms for future reference.

Sixosix 19:08 21 Jan 05

Thanks a bundle all. All I need now is the cash to pay the tax next year. Sixosix

Ivor_Monkey 22:29 21 Jan 05

I've used taxcal in the past, but didn;t fancy buyig yet another version for the new new year. So I used the inland revenue's own program and found it straight forward. Automatically saves your work for you.

pat2068 23:03 21 Jan 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…