program remains in add/remove programs

allan-256570 17:03 07 Feb 05

i (maybe on reflection stupidly installed a trial version of jasc,paint shop pro 8, this has since expired but try as i might i cannot remove it in add/remove programs, when the item is highlighted it only gives me the option to close it, i ran regedit,and scrolled to user/software/windows/current version/uninstall, but there was no item listed under jasc, can anybody give me an idea as how to remove this.

Gongoozler 17:32 07 Feb 05

Hi dumbldore. There's nothing stupid about trying PaintShop Pro. The only stupid thing is that the uninstall utility didn't complete the job.

Try downloading RegSeeker click here. Unzip the downloaded file to a folder of your choice (I created a folder that I named Regseeker for this purpose). Then run RegSeeker by double clicking RegSeeker.exe. Click on "Clean the Registry". All the items in green can definitely be safely removes, but I have never had problems deleting the red ones as well. As long as you have a tick in the "Backup before deletion" box, you can restore any removed entries later. Hopefully this will remove the unwanted residual registry entry.

Leslie-212488 17:57 07 Feb 05

thanks you Gonzoolzer

allan-256570 09:45 08 Feb 05

thanks gongoozler for the link i followed your instructions and i must say i was quite impressed with the items found, i have jvc power tools, and mcaffee quick clean installed and they did not find as many items as regseeker, i erred on the side of caution and left the entries in red alone, needless to say it failed to remove the offending item, just in case you think i am being picky about this, i have purchased a full version of paint shop pro and it will not let me install because it reports that i already have a version installed, many thanks for all of your help

Sethhaniel 09:53 08 Feb 05

Think in your case it would be safe for you to delete all references to Jasc in registry and also the folder in c:\Program files - reboot then run RegSeeker or Ccleaner - after cleanup -reboot again and install your 'Full Version' it will make its own place in registry ;)

plsndrs3 10:04 08 Feb 05

As I understand it, the problem here is that the registry is correct as the programme has not been uninstalled - which you can't do as there is no option under add/ remove or a dedicated uninstall facility. No registry cleaner will help at the moment.

When I have got into this situation, the only thing left is either to run a program like remove [free trial click here ]or delete the folder for Paint Shop Pro under C:\program files. Then re-run regseeker & check the red list for the registry item for Paint shop Pro [in case you didn't the first time] & reboot. personally, i would run regseeker for both as it just clears any rubbish leftover.

Post back & let us know.

HTH

Paul

dazza39 10:06 08 Feb 05

Another good app for getting rid of stubbon programs is Advanced Uninstaller,which is a freebie.

allan-256570 13:39 13 Feb 05

these tips were really great guy's but unfortunately, they all failed, regseeker failed to locate any reference, i looked in "c"/programs, there was no reference, advanced uninstall, didn't find anything, i tried rebooting, i ran regedit/machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/uninstall, and could not find any reference to the same.there doesn't seem to be a solution to this one.but many many thanks for trying.

FelixTCat 14:07 13 Feb 05

Two other things to try.

1 Look in the installation folder to see if there is an uninstall program

2 Run setup again and see if Modify/Uninstall is an option.

Gongoozler 14:20 13 Feb 05

I have found another place where these things can lurk.

Set a Restore Point, and open regedit.

Navigate to the key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products

Under this key you will see a number of long numbered keys.

Look inside each one for the string value ProductName, if it contains the name of the entry for the program you want to remove, delete the long numbered key you found it in.
Exit regedit and see if the entry has been removed from the Add/Remove programs list.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 13 Feb 05

Crap Cleaner click here

tools option will clear add/remove options

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5