PROGRAM FOR PLAYING DVDs

CabbageWhite 20:40 23 Oct 10

I have Windows XP SP3. Until recently I have never tried to play a DVD on my PC, but on trying to do so, I am told I need Real Player or Windows Media Player. I should be grateful for advice. Which is best and where is the best site for a down-load? Is there a free option? Thanks.

birdface 20:42 23 Oct 10

VLC is quite good.

click here

VLC Player will Play almost anything you care to throw at it. Just google VLC Player.

You can also get a free version of RealPlayer.

peter99co 23:20 23 Oct 10

Don't recommend Realplayer because if you remove it later it can disable your DVD drive function.

Did mine anyway.

lotvic 23:40 23 Oct 10

Windows Media Player should already be on your pc.
Have a look in Start > All programs

Although I also use VLC as it will play almost everything (and it's free)

CabbageWhite 23:54 23 Oct 10

Thanks guys - you are stars. It turns out that I do have Media Player (thanks lotvic) but I need a plug in to get it to work. So I'll try VLC. Thanks again.

rdave13 01:42 24 Oct 10

Another alternative with all the codex; click here

Ian in Northampton 09:29 24 Oct 10

A recommendation: IIRC, when I went to download VLC Player recently, it insists that you sign up for some kind of targeted advertising service. I declined to install it, and searched for an older version that is just plain vanilla, no advertising, and seems to work fine. At least, I *think* it was VLC Player...

CabbageWhite 09:38 24 Oct 10

I have downloaded VLC and it is working fine. [I hope I have not opened the door to a pile of adverts]

I use what I believe is the latest version of VLC (1.0.1) and I've never seen an ad. or a pop-up while using it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…