Program to Move Files and Oranise them

JayDay 16:18 11 Oct 07

I have numerous word documents that are emailed to me and saved in a download folder. I would like to automatically move the entire contents of the folder to individual folders.

The files have specific names so it could be done on a rules type basis.

Does anyone have any idea how this can be achieved.

Diemmess 16:51 11 Oct 07

You haven't said how many individual documents.

For < 100 or so I would do it the plodders way i.e.
Open two copies of My Computer
In one of them - Find the folder with all the Word.doc(s) and open it.

I the other:
Open the place where you want the individual folders. It could be the same place if your new folders are going to be sub-folders.
Make a new folder(for a single batch of docs), name it and open it.

Now select with the mouse while holding down Control - all the relevant files of a first group.
Drag them to their new folder.

Repeat with another new folder and a suitable clutch of files, and so on. It wont take long.

If you have several hundred different documents then this rather amateurish way is perhaps not for you.

JayDay 16:59 11 Oct 07

That's what I do at the moment. There are too many files and too many different folders. It takes an age. I was hoping there was a program that could do it automatically after I had set up the rules.

Diemmess 17:30 11 Oct 07

Sorry, I should have guessed.
There probably is such a program, I hope someone pops up with a definitive scheme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…