Program installation with multi XP user accounts

Rick_X 18:57 05 Dec 03

I have a PC running Win XP Home and both my girlfriend and I have our own accounts on this PC so that we can have our own desktop settings etc. My problem is that, as the one who installs most of the programs (via my user account) they don't seem to register and appear in her Start menu. Most recently I have encountered a problem where I have installed the latest QT software (which works fine in my account) and yet when using her account to watch a quicktime movie (embedded in a webpage) it appears as a broken link. Any ideas?

madPentium 19:29 05 Dec 03

Does your girlfriend have admin rights?
Also, you may have selected that they are private accounts and you cant see each others stuff.

Rick_X 19:43 05 Dec 03

The PC in question is running XP Home and as far as I'm aware you don't have an Administrator account on this version, well not that I've found so far. I have another PC running XP pro and that one has an Administrator account but even then sometimes stuff installs only for one user. If there is an admin rights tick box or something in XP Home I'd appreciate directions on how to find it as all I have found is the rather simple User Accounts menu in control panel. Thanks

Rick_X 19:46 05 Dec 03

Sorry I wan't clear with my earlier response; both user accounts are the 'Computer Administrator' accounts and not 'Limited' ones but this doesn't seem to change things.

Gaz W 21:15 05 Dec 03

What usually happens is that Start Menu items go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu folder. So you have C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Start Menu for all of your own start menu items and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu for stuff everyone can access. Most programs seem to put the start menu items here by default. What you can do for now is copy the items from your start menu into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu and they should appear on all user accounts.

That is of course unless XP Home is different to XP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…