program error messages on start up

Jacqual 14:19 31 Mar 06

When I start up my laptop (running on NTL broadband) I always get two identical error messages as follows:

msmsgri32.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to reboot the programme. An error log is being created.

I ignore and delete these messages and continue as per normal - everything works absolutely fine.
Should I worry? Anything simple I can do to get rid of the messages? I don't want to "rock the boat" as they don't seem to be causing any problems.

My OS is windows2000 professional

rawprawn 14:23 31 Mar 06

Take this online scan it could be a nasy malware.

rawprawn 14:23 31 Mar 06

click here sorry I forgot to post the link

ACOLYTE 14:24 31 Mar 06

You may wont to look at this click here
it seems you may have or have had a virus and this may be the trouble.

rawprawn 14:24 31 Mar 06
  Jacqual 16:38 31 Mar 06

Aha there was a worm around a couple of years ago which a friend removed from this laptop, and a folder "worm patch" (993kb dated Aug '03) has been left on the desktop ever since. As I said no apparent problem. Maybe it is a left over from that?

Just this week I downloaded the WindowsDefender Beta anti-spyware software and a scan came up with nothing. Norton has been on the machine all the time.

Incidentally I am on the verge of getting Kerio as a firewall as it generally seems well respected.

So should I now go ahead with what you recommend?

rawprawn 17:09 31 Mar 06

I would go ahead with the online scan, I scan my computer online every month as a check for my installed AV and Antispyware programs.

Jacqual 11:22 10 Apr 06

I did buy and install the Kerio firewall and I also did a scan with the Uniblue Registry Booster which came up with invalid entries 369 and errors fixed to date 135. Is that a lot - or merely a firghtener? I took the offer to fix 15 items, but have not yet paid for the full licence.

By the way just after I installed Kerio, Windows Defender took an update, and then came up with the message that it had detected and destroyed the Randex virus. My error messages on start up have now vanished.Not sure which item of software should get the credit for that but I do feel safer now. So back to Uniblue - do you think I really need this software now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac