Program to diagnose problem?

zeppman 22:19 31 May 07

I've got a problem with my PC .Last week my SATA drive blew one of the chips while I was trying to put another HD in and now windows is very slow to boot up.I have had an engineer out and he said it could be the motherboad on the way out or power problem (possible power surge).I'd like to use a good program that could detect any possible faults .Not sure if I'm asking for the impossible I just want to be forwarned before he takes the PC away and I pay an arm and a leg .The pc is running but is slugish.

Diversion 22:41 31 May 07

Hi
Sysoft Sandra is the best program but you could try this free one click here

zeppman 14:08 02 Jun 07

I'm trying a program called everest but I'm not sure what would be normal for voltage.

Gongoozler 14:12 02 Jun 07

Voltages should be within 10% of nominal. The PSU is only responsible for 12V, 5V and 3.3V. The motherboard generates the CPU core voltage, which depends on what CPU you have. -12V will probably give a strange figure because it is no longer used. From your description I think a failed motherboard is quite a high possibility.

sunny staines 14:18 02 Jun 07

sisoft sandra as already mentioned is good for testing the psu and other stuff

zeppman 17:14 03 Jun 07

If It is my mobo and I change it will my oem XP Pro be ok for new replacment board.

zeppman 02:07 04 Jun 07

I've had a look at sisoft sandra but I cant find out how to test psu with it?

rabadubdub 02:18 04 Jun 07

Probably there are some diagnostic tools on motherboard website - well, maybe, if it's quite recent board. They may even be within Bios, or on accompanying resource cd.
If OS came installed you may have to contact Microsoft to re-register/activate/get approval for XP to new motherboard for some reason, as a friend of mine had to. (This is one reason I want nothing to do with Xp/Vista if at all possible). If it's OEM supplier can tell you.

Rab

Gongoozler 07:59 04 Jun 07

If you replace the motherboard with an identical one, then it will probably run without any changes to the Windows installation, although you might need to phone Microsoft to revalidate Windows.

For monitoring motherboard voltages and temperatures I use MBM5 click here, although the results from any diagnostic software are only as good as the motherboard sensing hardware. If you have access to a digital voltmeter you can easily measure the 5V and 12V supplies on any spare drive power connector. You can also measure the 3.3V supply although that is a bit more tricky. Having said all that, it is most unlikely that you will find any error in any of the voltages. That would be more likely to stop the computer working at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…