Program accesing internet

IMestor 18:29 23 Oct 03

I have a warning, popping up repeatedly asking if a certain program wants to access the internet. My Mcafee firewall is detecting this and the program is one that i have not encountered ever before. The programs says "Run A Dll as an APP v5.1" and its name is rundll32.exe.Its located in the windows/system32 folder. It says it was created 23 august 2001, 2 years and 2 months to today. I have never encountered this program before.Running windows xp now but ME back then.

Any ideas as to what it is and if i should let it access the internet?

how can i stop it from popping up?

I think by clicking on properties it tells me that is part of windows.

Digital X 18:39 23 Oct 03

please help cant do anything else without closing it all the time.

Thanks in advance

IMestor 18:42 23 Oct 03

what kind of help do you need?

joethebow 19:36 23 Oct 03

Right, you have a dialler programme running all the time, probably on startup, here's my solution.

Go to downloads.com and download:

1. Dialer Control.
2. Startup Manager.

Run and install Dialer Control. This will prevent any programme dialing the internet. The first time you make a normal connection it will 'ask do you want to allow this,' reply Always. Any other number tries to dial you'll get the popup asking for permission. It stops all premium rate dialers.

Run and install Startup Manager. It will open a window listing all programmes that run on startup. You'll find the dialler listed. Disable it and it shouldn't ever bother you again. You can also use the programme to stop all the stupid programmes that install themselves for no good reason and slow down the PC. However be carefull, do not disable anything that looks like it's a part of windows or you might have to do a reinstallation.

IMestor 19:51 23 Oct 03

Thanks joethebow

any more ideas welcome

Jester2K II 20:35 23 Oct 03

Got any anti virus? Is it up to date? Almost certainly SirCam virus!!!! July 2001 this one came out!!

Singer can remove it click here

click here

Free AV click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…