Profile rejection

Newuser604 15:43 06 May 03

I am running Windows XP Home and every time I boot, I get the following message:

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.
DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format."

There are only 2 profiles stored on my machine, RONSPC\Administrator and RONSPC\R.C. Walker. It seems impossible to delete the latter and obviously I need to be able to use the Administrator facilities.

How then do I stop this message coming up please?

spikeychris 19:08 06 May 03

Your not using roaming profiles but the profile looks like its corrupted. System restore tends to fix this problem but theres other ways. If you go to the Start then Run and type "sysdm.cpl" what happens? Theres no point in typing what to do next if all you get is the system options from control panel so post back if it asks which corrupt file you want to repair....

Chris

spikeychris 19:46 06 May 03

click here for an easier way.

Newuser604 14:11 09 May 03

Thanks Chris.
I tried sysdm.cpl, but all I got was System Properties. I will try your "easier" way.

Newuser604 14:17 09 May 03

Chris, I looked at your easier way, but that tells you how to recover a lost profile. I dont need to do that, for I am happy to accept a new one that Windows should create each time I log on. The trouble is that it does not seem to be doing so, for if it did it presumably would not keep popping up that message.
Yours, Ron.

SEASHANTY 15:32 09 May 03

Try opening Control Panel and click on user accounts. It should be possible from this to add or delete a users profile provided you are logged on as administrator. This gives you opportinity to save or delete user profiles, altho, the one I deleted still came on at boot up, however it was possible to then delete this unwanted profile by right clicking on it and deleting it. Now my computer loads straight into the home page without asking for user selection.

spikeychris 15:56 09 May 03

If your not bothered about keeping the profile then...

Control Panel.

Click User Accounts.

Click Create a New Account.

When you are prompted, type the name for the new user, and then click Next.

On the Pick an Account Type page, click Computer Administrator, and then click Create Account.

Log off Windows.

Log on as the new user whom you created.

Log off and log back on again...

Chris

Newuser604 15:32 10 May 03

Thank you both very much for your help.

Yours aye, Ron.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac