product key serial no.

fymlor 09:56 22 Aug 03

i have got microsoft office installed but ihave lost my product key number and i need to reinstall
on a differnt computer.
is there any where on my computer like in the ini file/regestry where i can view my number?
thanks john

graham√ 10:00 22 Aug 03

Sorry, it's not stored on your computer to prevent piracy. If you have the original disc, try contacting Microsoft, they may be able to help.

Ben Avery 10:04 22 Aug 03

download the Belarc Advisor and run a PC scan.

This should provide you with your OEM number (NOT THE PRODUCT KEY!) which may provide microsoft with more information to enable you to have another product key.

BA

Ben Avery 10:05 22 Aug 03
  Djohn 10:14 22 Aug 03

If you call Microsoft customer service dept. They will ask for a few details then instruct you to use a few key combinations which will give a number on screen, read this back to them, and if they can be of assistance they will instruct you on how to proceed. Regards. j.

Jester2K II 10:17 22 Aug 03

Keyfinder - click here

Jester2K II 10:20 22 Aug 03

Keyfinder can recover the CD installation key.

regardless of above, some versions of Office DO store the CD Key in the Registry, some version encrypt it and store it. Either way Keyfinder SHOULD be able to recover it.

NB it will show you your OS CD Key too. If there is no Microsoft Office button when you run it it means it can't recover the Office CD Key.

And these are the CD Keys and not the PRODUCT KEY.

Tried and tested.

Ben Avery 10:30 22 Aug 03

I must admit that it never found my product key for Office!

Oh well, life goes on (and I kept the jewel case!)

:o)

BA

Jester2K II 10:43 22 Aug 03

PID - Product Ids - are NOT the CD Key.

Ben Avery - what version Office? I note it only works on Office 97 and Office XP!! Worked on my Office XP.

-pops- 10:54 22 Aug 03

Aida 32 will give you information on PIDs and Product keys of all software installed on a machine.

click here

I continue to be amazed at the number of threads in a similar vein to this one. I would have thought that something as important as the Product Key (product useless without it) would have always been kept in a safe place. As Product Keys are often supplied stuck to the case or card folder of the software disk, how is it that so many get lost?

Jester2K II 11:41 22 Aug 03

Of course they asked for the PID. If you've lost the CD Key they can't ask you for that. The PID is related to the CD Key but is not the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…