Product activation Windows XPsp2

Baggy 13:34 19 Feb 05

Product activation is required at every startup, although no changes have been made to hardware.I would very much appreciate a fix for this problem.

FelixTCat 13:41 19 Feb 05

When you activate XP it wrires a small file to your hard disk which contains a "checksum" calculated from the hardware on your system.It sounds as though that file may have become corrupt.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the file - I am sure that someone else here can chip in with it. It would be sensible to back it up.

VoG II 13:44 19 Feb 05

I think!!

Baggy 18:40 20 Feb 05

Felixtcat, thanks for your responce, but could you please explain exactly how I should repair the file suggested by VoG as I do not have sufficient knowledge. thanks Baggy.

Rayuk 19:10 20 Feb 05

wpa.bak in the same directory as well.
Are you saying that you have to actually activate your pc every time

FelixTCat 19:30 20 Feb 05

First, can you find wpa.dbl and wpa.bak in winsows\system32? If you can, make copies of them. Then try to rename wpa.dbl to wpa.old. Try to rename wpa.bak to wpa.dbl. Reboot. See if it works.

If you canno rename them, boot into safe mode and try to rename them.

Baggy 20:08 23 Feb 05

I carried out your suggested remedy 20.02.05 without problems, but I still need to activate Windows every start up. Any other ideas. regards Baggy

FelixTCat 20:58 23 Feb 05

Just check that wpa.dbl is not set to Read Only. Right-click, click on Properties and make sure that the Read-only attribute box is empty. Hopefully, the next boot will overwrite it with the corrected file.

Other possible solutions:

If you have activated in the past there is a backup file for it.

Boot into Safe Mode and open C:\windows\system32.
Look for WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK.

And rename WPA.BAK to WPA.DBL. Then reboot and test.

Another thing to try is on the Advanced Boot Menu, the one with Safe Mode, chose Enable VGA Mode, and then try to Activate.

If they do not work put your XP CD in in Safe Mode and reinstall.
Al your files and applications will be retained

polish 20:58 23 Feb 05

if you have genuine copy of xp try the free phone number given for activation they may help or search microsoft web site for further info sorry cant be of any more advice

Baggy 19:09 01 Mar 05

FelixTcat. I have checked for read only, no problem. However, two new problems, I have run out of the number of activations allowed and have now got a new activation number, but Microsoft cannot help solve the problem. The second problem is that I cannot force my PC into safe mode, F8 only brings up a boot menu. Over to you again . Regards baggy.

FelixTCat 23:35 01 Mar 05

Thanks, pal :)

What are the options on the boot menu?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…