Processor's Speed

zarobian 09:21 09 Feb 05

I have recently purchased Acer Aspire 1363WLMi
Laptop that is based on Mobile AMD Sempron 3000+ with WindowsXp Home Edition.
My question is (1)what is the actual Clock speed of the processor.Is it 2.17GHZ? (2) BIOS shows 1.8 GHZ (3) Device Manager shows as 792MHZ.
Which one is correct and how can I correct the Device Manager.
I am sure somebody else flagged this before and the PCADVISOR replied it. I cannot find it from the back issues.
Any suggestions you wise folks.

TomJerry 09:42 09 Feb 05

click here

two problems here

(1) Windows cannot identify new processor correctly becuase when windows produced, new processor was not around

(2) mobile processor is tricky to find correct clock speed because it varys clock speed according to load in oder to save battery. You need to connect it to main if you want to id it correctly or disable power saving function

Maverick81 09:53 09 Feb 05

The fact that it says 792 in system properties is because when you switched it on it was running from battery on that occasion. Windows only measures the stepping of you cpu on bootup.

AMD mobiles will run at around 800mhz from battery, what you should find is that when you plug the mains in and reboot that the clock speed alters.

The Mobile Semprons do have a lower clock than their desktop cousins. So the desktop one runs at 2.17ghz and the mobile one runs at 1.8ghz if my memory serves me correctly.

It sounds like your laptop is running as it should

Cheers

Mav

Maverick81 09:53 09 Feb 05

The fact that it says 792 in system properties is because when you switched it on it was running from battery on that occasion. Windows only measures the stepping of you cpu on bootup.

AMD mobiles will run at around 800mhz from battery, what you should find is that when you plug the mains in and reboot that the clock speed alters.

The Mobile Semprons do have a lower clock than their desktop cousins. So the desktop one runs at 2.17ghz and the mobile one runs at 1.8ghz if my memory serves me correctly.

It sounds like your laptop is running as it should

Cheers

Mav

zarobian 21:25 09 Feb 05

I am really surprised for a quick response from TomJerry and Maverick81.
This Laptop was received yesterday. First of all I charged the Battery. Thereafter removed the battery and booted the comp using mains adopter.
I checked the BIOS and finally device manager.This morning after receiving the advice from you folks I booted the machine again using Mains Adopter. The result was the same as mentioned previously.
Then subjected the comp to DirectX9 diagnosticts test. It showed 1.8GHZ. On rechecking the device manager it also displayed the speed as 1.8GHZ.
I think but not sure if the clock speed is variable and adjusted according to the usage of the computer which of course includs the power saving funtion when powered by battery.

THE TERMINATOR 22:57 09 Feb 05

click here the CPU speed is 1.8Ghz....TT

zarobian 17:21 10 Feb 05

Hi,
THE TERMINATOR you proved your point. Thanks for the info.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced