Processors - Getting Out Of This World

t_o_m 21:03 13 Apr 03

I would just like to know what your opinions are on the speed of processors rising so dramatically.
I am running an AMD Athlon Xp 2100+ with ME and I must admit it is a great deal faster than my P266 with 98! What is getting to me is that the temperature of my CPU gets well over 50 degrees with three fans cooling it! Now that as far as I know, you can currently buy over 3ghz processors then god knows how they are going to survive. In my opinion, I just think it is stupid with the speed of these processors (not that I am jealous or anything!). I would not go over 2.5ghz. What do you think?

Rayuk 21:05 13 Apr 03

You may have to when you next upgrade sub 3GHz may not be up for sale
Moving onto 0.90 should mean cpus running cooler after that who knows.

David-277685 23:51 13 Apr 03

Can't remember where it comes from but there is a rule of two for cpu processing power. i.e. processing power doubles every year. So if this holds true in one year from now we will have a 6GHz processor, 2 years 12GHZ, 3 years 24GHz and so on and so on. How hot they will get who knows and why we need such power....because we are human and we always need to go bigger and faster. That's evolution baby!!

mcullum_DX4Life 00:14 14 Apr 03

its called moores law and it was thought up by Robert Moore, the founder of intel in the 60's sometime.

He has ammended it recently though and it is now every 18 months that we see a double in processor speed.

;-)

duplo 11:27 14 Apr 03

Untill somone stops making programs that need all th extra speed, no one is going to stop making chips that go super fast.

Same with most things....we now have (well, when its released) a car with 1001 bhp. Some one will buy it, so someone will make it!

Speed Speed Speed! I love it!

expertec 15:41 14 Apr 03

Until somebody stops making processors superfast, no-one is going to stop making huge programs to swallow up the extra speed

woody147 16:30 14 Apr 03

ok so what programs currently won't run properly unless you have a 3GHz processor. or even 1.5 for that matter.

DieSse 18:10 14 Apr 03

Real time voice translation will not run even on todays fastest PC processors. Lots of top-notch simulation programs will not run ideally even on a 3GHz processor

woodchip 18:29 14 Apr 03

It's called the Money go round, You work for it and you give it to them so they can give it to there workers

woody147 19:24 14 Apr 03

Well, the point i was trying to make was i don't think it's the programs needing the extra speed, it's the fact that your average buyer's only concern is having a 'big number' associated with their pc, and price, suitability to what they actually use it for and even performance come second. Hence the 'woohoo' factor about having 3.06Ghz even though in pc advisors own words "the athlon 3000+ (clock speed 2.17GHz) may have a slower clock speed but it outperforms intel's flagship p4 processor by a wide margin". It's the same with graphics cards - everyone rushes to buy the latest £360 Geforce fx even tho the games that actually need that much power won't be around till next year (directx9) by which time the card will be £150 cheaper.

woody147 19:24 14 Apr 03

Well, the point i was trying to make was i don't think it's the programs needing the extra speed, it's the fact that your average buyer's only concern is having a 'big number' associated with their pc, and price, suitability to what they actually use it for and even performance come second. Hence the 'woohoo' factor about having 3.06Ghz even though in pc advisors own words "the athlon 3000+ (clock speed 2.17GHz) may have a slower clock speed but it outperforms intel's flagship p4 processor by a wide margin". It's the same with graphics cards - everyone rushes to buy the latest £360 Geforce fx even tho the games that actually need that much power won't be around till next year (directx9) by which time the card will be £150 cheaper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…