Processor/Motherboard match

skylark101 15:49 24 Nov 08

My girlfriend recently bought a second user PC from a small electrical store, and almost from the beginning there were serious problems, the system kept locking up, the mouse would freeze, spontaneous reboots, you name it, and it was happening. I downloaded the motherboard manual to check on the settings, and then I realized that the motherboard supported three processors, an AMD Athlon, an AMD XP and an AMD Duron, when we took the PC back to the store for them to sort out I mentioned to them that the processor on the board was an AMD Sempron which did not appear to be supported by the motherboard, their reply was that if a processor physically fits the motherboard socket then it is compatible, is this true or are they bull*!@:ing me.

johndrew 16:24 24 Nov 08

There are a number of dependencies here as the BIOS revision, type of motherboard and type of processor all come into play.

If you can advise what the motherboard is (make/type) and the BIOS type and revision it would make it easier to advise you.

It is also worth noting that other elements that will cause the symptoms you describe, such as overheating, software conflict and driver problems.

skylark101 17:11 24 Nov 08

Thanks johndrew, Motherboard is ASROCK K7s41, don't have access to the computer at moment so can't get BIOS info. I don't think overheating is an issue as problems start immediately.

Procrastinus 20:39 24 Nov 08

A good site for motherboard/cpu compatibility is click here

I have found it invaluable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now