processor upgrades

marty p 22:25 22 Aug 05

i want to upgrade my processor but have been told i may have to refomat my hdd as there is a possibility it will crash. i dont really want to lose all my data nevermind having to do a full reinstall of xp my mobo supports upto amd 3200+ im running 1800+ at the moment

Stuartli 22:39 22 Aug 05

There's no logic in the advice you've been given.

You just might have to update the Bios but that's easily checked out from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

harps1h 22:48 22 Aug 05

as long as you atr only changing the processor there is no real reason to format. you only need to do that when you change to a motherboard that has a newer or different chipset. only then as far i have found in the past is when instability becomes an issue

dan11 22:48 22 Aug 05

Agree.

If your motherboard supports the new processor, it should be fine. You may have to enter the bios to alter a few details, but not reformat the hard drive.

harps1h 22:48 22 Aug 05

*are

sorry

harps1h 22:51 22 Aug 05

one other thing looking at your post is to be careful that you pick a 32 bit processor and not 64bit as they run on different chipsets.

but then i'm sure you already knew that. sorry to point out the obvious

Stuartli 13:08 23 Aug 05

I've changed motherboards (and CPUs) and never had to reformat nor seen any reason to do so, only immediately Repair XP Pro before use as XP doesn't always take to a new mobo.

XP Pro has proved as superbly stable and reliable as ever afterwards.

Stuartli 13:09 23 Aug 05

I've changed motherboards (and CPUs) and never had to reformat nor seen any reason to do so, only immediately Repair XP Pro before use as XP doesn't always take to a new mobo.

XP Pro has proved as superbly stable and reliable as ever afterwards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…