processor upgrade

robert01 16:04 27 Aug 06

I think the ageing technology on my motherboard is holding me back on the upgrade path. My computer is around 5 years old, with 800MB RAM and a good graphics card (Radeon 9600) but I think the processor could do with an upgrade. Currently it is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67GHZ - the question is what is the most advanced AMD processor my motherboard can take or is the motherboard holding me back and that is what I should replace to notice any real improvement. Motherboard is ASUS A7V333 and I think the speed in MHZ that info goes round the system is the key and determines what options are open to me.

ed-0 16:10 27 Aug 06

These are the cpu's that will fit into your motherboard.click here

The best by far would be the barton 3000+ 333fsb. Unfortunatley they can be hard to find and can be expensive.

A new board and cpu may be the better option.

ed-0 16:18 27 Aug 06

something like click here £31 and click here £62. Would give your system extra umph.

Depending on compatability with your other components, you could upgrade for under a hundred and give yourself a little bit of room for future upgrades.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced