Processor Upgrade

Slithe 17:59 26 May 05

Hi - me again! I am in the process of carry out a complete overhaul on my HP Pavilion PC, aside from other tips from yourselves (such as memory, HD, Graphics etc) one tip was to upgrade the current 2.6GHZ Celeron Processor to a Pentium 4.

This is where I need some advice again - firstly some info about the Motherboard:

It's a Snapper Micro ATX with a 478 Socket
The Processor front size bus frequency is 400/533/800 MHZ and the maximum approved processor is an Intel Pentium 4 HT or a Celeron Prescott and Northwood.

What would be appreciated is:

1) What is the maximum pentium 4 processor speed this board could take?

2) How would I go about installing it - if I chose to do it. I.E. Would I need a new heat sink, cooling gel or grease

3) How would Windows XP Home fare with this - I was given no discs when I brought the system and instead have a 'recovery partition' that I can access by pressing F10 when the machine boots.

TA

Slithe 11:10 27 May 05

How much would an upgrade cost - is it finacially viable?

TomJerry 11:37 27 May 05

theoretically it should take any Socket 478 CPUs becuase it take 800 MHz FSB CPUs

Practically, it maynot take any Prescott CPU, Northwood sould be fine. Precott CPU need more power, so PSU is also important

Realistically, it is not easy to find any P4 Northwood, if you are luck you can find 3.0GHz costs about £115. Heatsink, fan and installation guide will come with Retail version of Intel CPUs.

NO need to change any thing with software.

You will not gain much (30% maybe) by upgrading to a 3GHz P4. More RAM maybe better option.

If you play a lot of big boy's games, a better graphics card is the way to go.

Slithe 11:41 27 May 05

thanks - can I just confirm something:

if I brought a 3GHZ P4 Retail Version does that mean that I could not use my existing heatsink?

Also, would I have to buy any cooling gel or grease?

Joe R 12:00 27 May 05

Slithe,

The retail package comes with a new heatsink and fan, with the thermal paste, already attached to the heatsink.

Slithe 12:02 27 May 05

ok - so in that case I assume its just a case of removing the old chip and heatsink and replacing it with a new one?

TA

woodchip 12:08 27 May 05

And adjusting BIOS settings, and any Motherboard jumpers if any

Slithe 12:15 27 May 05

Ok - thanks everyone for your help and advice.

To a novice like myself, this seems rather complicated, especially the last bit with BIOS, therefore I will probably leave the processor as it is for the time being. Instead, I'll upgrade the RAM and Graphics.

Once Again Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…