Processor upgrade

SteevScotland 23:00 24 May 04

Hi. I am being forced to upgrade my Athlon 2600XP processor which is cooked due to a faulty heatsink fan.

I would like my new processor to last me at least a couple of years so I was wondering What your opinions were as regards to which processor you think I should buy? Should I buy a new Socket A processor Or do you think I should go all out and get a new motherboard and an Athlon 64 processor.

My current system is:

AMD ATHLON XP2600+ processor.
MSI K7N2 Delta Motherboard
512MB PC2100 RAM
Radeon 9600PRO 128MB graphics card
120GB Hard Disk.

Would I get a noticeable performance increase if i replace the mobo and get an Athlon 64 or would I be just as well to get a better spec socket A processor?

Cheers S

SteevScotland 00:46 27 May 04

OK maybe my question was a bit long winded. basically I would like to know if the performance increase upgrading to an Athlon 64 would be worth the expense or should I just get a new Athlon XP processor?

Cheers S

ste_bla 05:56 27 May 04

By the time 64bit software comes out for use general/home users processors speeeds will be a lot higher so dont go for it just coz its 64 bit..

I would just get a faster Skt A CPU save your money.. Also some people is this forum have said that the current 64bit chip sockets are going to be stopped by end of year and replaced with different version, might have misunderstood thou..

SteevScotland 13:31 28 May 04

ok i dont want to upgrade if the socket is gona be out of date in a few months.

Cheers S

Totally-braindead 14:31 28 May 04

I too read somewhere about the sockets being changed but can't recall if it was on AMD or Intel boards but that aside I would just stick with SKT A at the moment, epecially if the PC does everything you want, it'll only cost about the £55 mark and will last a while. If you buy the latest kit now you'll be pretty annoyed when 6 months down the road the processor half the price. The longer you can wait before upgrading the better as it will cost you less. When a new all dancing processor comes out its expensive but after even faster ones come out the prices drops drastically, as an example my old processor a 1600 cost about £120 if I remember right, my new 2500 cost £60.

Totally-braindead 14:39 28 May 04

PS I bought the 2500 as according to a lot of the mags it could actually beat the 2600 and it was cheaper, don't know why something to do with the design I think. The only place I can recall reading about it was in Computer Shopper but I did read the same thing elsewhere. This is what it said " XP 2500+ with the barton core exhibits a noticeable performance increase over the previous Thoroughbred core chips, in our test the 2500+ Barton outperformed the 2600+ Thoroughbred core model for Office tasks". Of course they are talking about the Barton model and they do mention office tasks. Incidentelly I would look for the retail model of the CPU as the heatsink included with it is far more heavy duty than some of the others you can get and you get a 3 year guarantee with the chip providing its installed correctly.

SteevScotland 17:30 29 May 04

Thanks everyone. The 2600 does everything I want but seen as I have to buy a new processor I might as well upgrade it to a faster one. Think I might get some more RAM while I'm at it.

Cheers S

Rayuk 19:01 29 May 04

Get yourself a 2500+Barton together with 2 sticks of PC3200 and run it at 11x200 [3200+]
But make sure you get yourself a good heat sink and fan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…