Processor upgrade

Drazpaz 19:38 30 Mar 04

I have a 1.7 Ghz Celeron processor. My computer has been feeling rather slow lately so i thought that i should upgrade. The processor i am looking at is a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 with 533Mhz FSB (this is the fastest my motherboard will take). Will it make much difference to the speed and is it worth shelling out that money?

Thanks
Will

Diodorus Siculus 22:19 30 Mar 04

You will probably see a difference, but it depends on what you are doing with it - general office /internet work will not make a difference.

beec crump 22:22 30 Mar 04

good for games if u need it, but otherwise pointless. According to tak manager i never go above 65-70% useage (I never play games, music etc.)

Really depends on your use.

Ben

gudgulf 23:30 30 Mar 04

Celeron processors are not really speed demons------Any P4 should be an imrovement.I would imagine that you will get a noticable improvent whatever you use it for.

What type and amount of ram are you using--may help if you upgrade here as well.

Lastly if you think that the pc has slowed down recently--how about a good clearout of old temporary files and other such junk? A bit of good housekeeping never hurt.

prof9456 16:38 01 Apr 04

I would advise you to first check that you cant increase your memory before processor upgrade.
You my not be aware that slow speed is associated with insofitant memory, it is esier to upgrade memory than processors as you may have to reset the motherboard and BIOS.

Regards,jurgen

fourjays 17:16 01 Apr 04

I have a Pentium 4 with HT, and it is very fast! Great for games. It will be a great improvement on a Celeron.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…