Processor Upgrade

cthooli 21:51 29 Jan 04

have just added a secondary CD drive, so now have seperatie DVD drive and CD RW drive. Computer seems to be going a lot slower now. Have Athlon 800Mhz (the shame) with 128 MB SDRam and Windows ME. I'am about to put in another stick of ram in so hopeuflly that will help. how easy is it to open up the case, take off the fan, take out the old processer chip and put in a newer one? and any iedea how i can see what my motherboard supports? its a : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363
Board: 8363-686A? any ideas? oh and its a Multivision so cant really ask them for help!!

C

D/load aida 32 or belarc advisor run them find out what's under the covers so to speak and search the net for your listed hardware

click here

click here

jakimo 22:36 29 Jan 04

The numbers you give are the Northbridge chipset ID, download the software suggested by [email protected],so you can id your mobo

cthooli 18:57 30 Jan 04

thanks for the help, is upgrading the CPU and fan as easy as Ram? just unplug and pull it out? then put the new CPU in and the new fan on top, and then restart it? that simple?

Rayuk 19:04 30 Jan 04

Not quite that simple,a little care has to be taken not to damage the cpu when applying the heat sink and fan[not forgetting that there is thermal compound between the 2]

SEASHANTY 19:27 30 Jan 04

The PCTECHGUIDE - installing a Pentium 4 CPU -
illustrated guide click here

SEASHANTY 19:30 30 Jan 04

...and before anyone tells me its an Athlon m/b - the process of installing is the same.

slimbo51 19:40 30 Jan 04

I should also check what your M/Board will accept
as a max proc size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…